The Career Engineer says, “Don’t Get Anxious – Get Prepared!”
Enjoying the BBQ, the waves and the heat…but loosing your momentum in your career or business pursuits? Don’t overwhelm yourself with intense worry or stress; it will not SOLVE the situation! The summer months are a great time to take emotional, spiritual, physical and FISCAL inventory of your career or business movement. My experience has been that all these facets are important to ensuring a successful and sustainable career or business platform. Let’s get REAL…we’ve ALL been there; the great idea perhaps fizzled. The dream became a logistical and capacity consuming nightmare…and the BILLS are due! First, check your pride and ego at the door. Next, try these TCE Steps (yes I use them in EACH July and October) to get your career or business mojo back or optimized.
- It Is What It Is: The first step in ANY career or business recovery is (ACCEPTANCE). I love to dream and create, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out. If that is the case, NOW is the time to deal with “just the facts”, and leave fantasy thinking “Living in the Land of Oz” alone. Your career and business future depends on it. FSO (For Saints Only) – if you pray don’t worry, if you worry, don’t pray…but Faith in Action IS Required!
- Review, Retract, Respond: Check out your career or business marketing gear: (marketing materials, 30 second bumper sticker, your top 100 targets, your top 10 connections, Your A, B & C game. If one of those plans is NOT WORKING…then STOP DOING IT! If you don’t have a strong A,B,C game plan…you better get one…FAST! (Or book your meeting with The Career Engineer…today)
- Go Where Your Competition is NOT: Niche sites, target & non-traditional networking events, word of mouth marketing – increase this by 50% – 70%. My preference with networking begins with “focused, purposed-driven” networking where quality connections reside versus quantity (this includes my on-line connections portals as well.) My best connections/closed deals came from places with 30 or less where in the room (often 15).
- Swallow Your Pride: Just pay the bills; the job does not equal your value. (Some times a quick, fast and in a hurry) career or business opportunity may reduce anxiety by just paying the rent/mortgage. Of course, keep your eyes on plans A, B, C; but plan D, can place food on your table.
- A Blast From the Past: Contact a trusted “vetted” connection from your past employment or relationship solid social capital connection and let them know you are exploring the market for freelance or contract work. Your place of worship is an exceptional source of decision makers in the career and business space. This is why you should NEVER burn…bridges!
- Work This Process Like There is NO Tomorrow: Hit at least 100 focused contacts per month, use out-of-the- box solutions (thank you cards, cold call, coffee meetings, attend VALUE BASED events/seminars to make contacts.) Hey…it works for me.